If you are the webmaster of a newly launched website, or if your website lacks the popularity it deserves, you should have a look at the following 10-step guide, which will show you how to get valuable links and improve your traffic levels and overall site popularity:
1. Use the full power of automated link management websites and directories. This is the easiest and most effective way of getting links to your website. Some great resources to start linking to other websites, go to:
2. Place a link or invitation for potential link partners. There are many webmasters who visit related websites and some of them might want to link to you. Make sure to offer them an easy and quick solution to initiate the link exchange.
3. Use high authority websites like Wikipedia to generate traffic and increase your website popularity. Remember that quality is king on such websites, so don’t try to spam them or find quick solutions. Become part of the community and your links will be more than welcome.
4. Become a part of the blogging craze. Create your own blog (you can do that for free with services like Blogger or Word Press) and start posting on other blogs. Try to include a link to your website where the context allows it. Blog posting is effective and has the potential to send hundreds of visitors each week with only a few well written comments and some subtle links.
5. Join a few forums related to the topic of your website and become an active member. Try to create the exact same user name and password for more forums, so that you can manage your posts and memberships better. Some forums don’t allow you to place links in your messages ñ unless they are really valuable forums try to avoid them as they will bring little benefit.
6. Post on groups and other online communities.
7. Use social bookmarking websites such as digg.com or furl.com to generate interest in your website. The more interesting the content of your pages is, the more credit you will get from the people who determine the placement of your links.
8. Yahoo Answers is another interesting source of traffic and links. Make sure to become a real contributor to the program, not just someone who places a link without any real content.
9. Offer something of value for free to your visitors or newsletter subscribers. This will generate a viral effect in which visitors tell their friends about your website. This will lead to increased traffic, plus it will let more webmasters know that you exist, increasing the chances of a link exchange.
10. Use the full power of article submissions. This is another viral marketing tool that has the potential of generating more and more incoming links towards your website as the articles you submitted get republished on blogs and websites. You may want to register with some ezines and directories to submit your article for inclusion, such as: